Kenute P. Curry
Join us in welcoming our author, Mr. Kenute P. Curry to the Author Spotlight. We’ve asked Mr. Curry a number of questions which we hope will allow you to get to know him a little better.
- Where are you from originally?
Spanish Wells, Eleuthera
- Do you have a history of writers or authors in your family?
None, that I am aware of.
- Did you excel in writing while in school?
Yes, I did.
- How important is reading to you? Does it affect your writing?
I read on a daily basis; it stimulates and develops the mind. It is how we discover new things, and also develops the imagination.
- What works have you written?
I have written two books - Heaven’s Light and Full Circle At Gilgal. Of interest to me are Novels, Short stories, Poems. Biblical Writing and Teaching.
- Are you currently writing another book now?
Yes, I am.
- How long have you been writing books?
I have been writing books since June 2013.
- What are your ambitions for your writing career?
To become an established and recognized Bahamian Author.
- Why do you write?
First and foremost, to bring glory to Almighty God; and because it is something that I love and enjoy doing.
- What is your process for writing books; do you create an outline before writing?
At first, an outline is created, and then I draft the body of the Manuscript in a Microsoft Word Document.
- Do you have a daily writing regimen?
I have been keeping a Journal since 2001; so, yes, I do write every day.
- Do you consider yourself a full-time or part-time writer?
- For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books?
- How did you begin writing? Did you intend to become an author, or do you have a specific reason or reasons for writing each book?
It all began in 2005, when I wrote a series of Christian Short Stories.
- How many hours daily to you devote to writing?
Do you write a draft on paper, at a keyboard or from an audio recording of yourself? About 5 to 7 hours a day. I draft at a keyboard.
- Do you write every single day?
Yes, I do.
- Does writing energize or exhaust you?
- How long on average does it take you to write a book?
It depends upon the type of book it is, and how much research I have to do on that particular subject.
- What genre are your books?
Christian Living, Restoration, Autobiography, Relationships, and Poetry.
- What draws you to this/these genre(s)?
The Holy Spirit, and the love of creative-writing.
- How much research do you do when you’re about to write a book?
It depends on the subject that I am writing on; but most times, it is a lot of research.
- What are common traps for aspiring writers?
1.Not understanding the entire process regarding writing. 2. Can’t take or deal with criticism. 3. Setting expectations way too high.
- How important is it for you to receive book reviews?
- How successful has your quest for reviews been so far?
- Do you have a strategy for finding people to review your books?
- Is there any marketing technique you used that had an immediate impact on your sales figures?
Advertising Book-Signings with Flyers in Bookstores and Communities.
- Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
Promote your books in a honest and right way with a good Publisher, Social Media, Flyers and Posters.
- Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?
- What is your take on the importance of a good cover and title?
Be sure of what you want the cover and title of the book to look like, and enlist the aid of a good Graphics Artist.
- Have you ever designed your own book cover?
I have been involved in the process of designing my own Book-Covers.
- Do you believe a book cover plays an important role in the selling process?
- What is the secret to becoming a successful author?
Passion, Purpose, People, and Perseverance.
- How do you feel when people recognize you in public and appreciate your work?
Very humble and thankful to God.
- Have you received any awards for your literary works?
- Where can we buy or see your books?
In Nassau: One Rib Publishers, Logos Bookstore, The Bible Book and Gift Centre, All Seasons, All Occasions (Formerly Hallmark), Chapter One Bookstore, and Buy the Book. In Spanish Wells: Spanish Wells Food Fair, and Harbourside Rentals.
- How easy/difficult has it been getting your books in local store shelves?
Not difficult at all.
- What advice would you give aspiring authors on publishing and marketing their books?
If this is what you feel that God has called you to do, go for it! Be positive and make sure that writing and publishing books is something that you love and enjoy doing.